Friday, July 1, 2016

July = Whole30?

Today could be the first day of my Whole30.  I have not got a firm commitment in my mind, and think I'm jumping the gun on my other family members who were thinking of it.  But today was compliant, so maybe I should go for it.  I don't have a firm plan, but its similar enough to how I eat (or how I think I eat, not the same thing) that I should be able to jump into it.

I've been really wracked by sugar demons. At an out-of-town conference, I hit up the plentiful snacks pretty often.  But I knew as I took the food, and felt as I reached for more, it was making me feel like crap.  Still I reached for it.  I gave myself some minimal kudos for making the strong connection to the crappy feeling. It wasn't enough to deter from the immediate gratification of the chocolate chunk cookie, but maybe next time.

The Whole30 book I just read said cravings only last for 3-4 minutes so you only need to distract yourself.  This is not my experience.  Ice cream is my biggest craving. I will spend quite some time - make a special cross-town trip-- to satisfy my ice cream craving.  Last night after seeing my mother I stopped at a very convenient and very good frozen yogurt place, and really enjoyed it.

But I'm Whole30 now, and so there is no question I will not stop again this month.

Breakfast was chicken sausage with guacamole and salsa from Whole Foods.  Lunch was grilled (by me) chicken from the freezer with sauteed onions and zuchini. Dinner was a rib eye steak, accompanied by sweet potatoes cooked in coconut milk with a hint of cumin and a squeeze of lime.  Dairy in all its forms is off the menu, but that coconut milk sauce was really creamy.

I was really tired, but decided I needed to have left overs to make it through tomorrow.

No comments: