Sunday, February 8, 2015

Eating and Moving Through Stress

It was a very bad week this week, maybe the second worst of my life. But on this, my diet and exercise blog, that's not the story. The story here is I took care of myself.

As stress built over the past couple of weeks, I had started a new diet and was making progress. I also started a training plan for the 5K I intend to run in March. As things got tense, I hunkered down and cooked and cooked and walked / ran with my dog outside.

When all hell broke loose, there was no time. But there was a fridge full of good food to reheat quickly. A couple of days, I hardly passed through my own house to grab and eat the food, and besides had essentially no appetite. But every other day, I ate well and adequately without having to waste energy on it.

There were two days this week that are tied for the fewest number of steps I took during a day, since I've been tracking my steps with the current devices.  When I got a break Friday morning, I contemplated going out for a terrific breakfast. Instead, I suited up in my cool new running clothes, wired myself with all the tech, and the dog and I took my training run only a day late. This is what I wanted to do with my time. This was the best way to dissipate my stress. It was like meditating, it was so refreshing.

What an enormous change in my mindset - and for that matter, to my body itself.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Impressive

Put the mask on yourself first - and then u r in shape to address the crazy.

We all know the theory but WOW Nan u did it!

Hope u never have such a test of your resolve again, and always take pride in your cool under pressure!
Tip of my hat

Liz

KCF said...

Tip of my hat, here, too! And it's inspiring. Even now, long post-crisis, I am so easily thrown off my game with the girls' intrusion in any way--their physically being home, a so-so phone conversation, a blip in their road. This is my real 2015 resolution....to be my own example of the mask on me first.