Friday, December 28, 2012

Irresolute

I'm thinking about New Year's resolutions. Because who can avoid it at this time of year? It's all over the news and radio. I looked at last year, where I was totally and absolutely focused on learning how to run and completing the epic win:  a 5K. I did that, actually two, but I failed to make it a habit.  I signed up for additional 5Ks as a motivating tool and for a variety of poor reasons did not keep up the running.

I've got bigger problems now. In the continuum of mind-body-spirit, I think its my spirit that needs shoring up this year with some kind of resolution. So I've signed up at 750words.com, which is built on the concept of "Morning Pages". Morning Pages are one of the techniques used in the book The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron. This book saved my life, back in the mid 1990s. It is because of this book I am here, in DC, able to be with my family. It pulled me out of a deep deep funk of despair, and got me off my tush and doing things. It was written out of workshops to help writers and other artists suffering from writer's block. I have never defined myself as an artist, so would never have gotten this book if it hadn't been highly recommended by someone. The book is big on the concept of serendipity, which I remember being explained as more than just coincidence, but the universe pulling together in unexpected harmony. But it doesn't just come to you, you have to get off your duff for it to happen. The practical thought is, if you are out there shaking the apple trees, the universe is likely to shower you with oranges, and its up to you to recognize the gift and use it when it comes. Don't spend time whining about how you didn't get your apples.

So I worked through the exercises in the book, most prominently the morning pages. Write three pages every single morning. Just simple, stream of consciousness. But do it. Three whole pages. Long enough to get into some actual thoughts. I did. I decided I wanted to change my job, and I thought it would be cool to live in the east, close to my family. In the middle of working through these exercises, the internet finally reached my computer at work, and I discovered a job posting in DC, described as if it were designed for me, and reporting to one of the only three people I had met that worked at the agency I'm at now.  This would be serendipity at work.

This "750 words" website is an online way to do morning pages, typing instead of writing longhand. It keeps cool stats on when and what you write, which you regular readers will know I'll like. It's all fun-ified and automated, because its designed as a project of love by a very competent Silicon Valley guy.  I stumbled across the website sometime last year, but wasn't ready to give up handwriting. I browsed to some Quantified Self YouTube videos a couple of days ago, and found Buster explaining some things he has discovered about tracking and monitoring himself and he mentioned this site as being his own. I was ready to make the move, and I've committed to 750 words every single day in the month of January.

But what about diet and exercise?  I'm not sure. I'm thinking about making a goal of a mile every single day - not between the kitchen and dining room, but a mile walk or jog, outside or on the treadmill. I've started experimenting and will decide next week if I'm going to do it.  I'm really trying for the habit.  I'm distressed about my weight, but of the mind-body-spirit continuum, I'm willing to put a bit less emphasis on the body.

For my loyal readers, I have been doing very short entries on my other blog (idea copied from KCF). I've re-titled it, from Credit Log to Quick Log, good and bad. I can make little entries on the fly from the iphone, just to remind myself to pay attention. Probably pretty boring, but there you go. Some element of accountability.

No comments: