Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My walk today

I took a walk today at a park that straddles a peninsula between the Chesapeake Bay and the creek where I keep my boat. I walked in that park a lot back when I was training for the Avon 2-day. It has a long loopy four mile trail that moves between the Bay shore, the woods, some open fields, and the headwaters of Bodkin Creek- tidal, but nearly fresh water from springs.

Seeing the open water gives my heart an incredible lift every time. The view from the Bay shore is very similar to the view we get when we round the point in Mutima and head south.

Things I saw today:

A black lab in the water fetching sticks.

A giant freighter just under the Bay Bridge and making good time for Baltimore.

A woman walking alone with a wheeled walker. Hooray for her, I thought. How did she get here? Did she drive?

One runner attired in spandex.

Five or so walkers like me going the other way.

Three deer running away, with a beagle bugling behind them and no person in sight.

The only green things in the woods were holly trees and mosses on the ground.

Many squirrels.


- iPhone uPdate

3 comments:

KCF said...

ooh, I love the idea of making a running report of what you saw... keeps you focused a bit and appreciative of the small lovelies around you. I've been trying to walk in the bklyn botanical gardens once a month and I've done it for January and February and each time, I've kicked myself I didn't bring my camera. so I walked thinking about what I could have shot, but if I was at least reporting it, that would be nice, too. Invariably, I start thinking about when I'm going to do my laundry, which isn't always so bad, but it's a bit of a waste on a gorgeous day.

Anonymous said...

Seeing the open water gives my heart an incredible lift every time.

agreed

Liz

Nan S said...

Usually, I walk with the ipod, generally listening to a book, not music. That takes a lot of my brain so I'm less into noticing things. This walk had silence and keeping track helped me focus.