Friday, June 11, 2010

Food While Travelling

The food here is amazing. It's rather like being on the cruise ship, except with the advantage that it's all buffet and so the portions are up to me.

It's much harder to manage my calories while travelling and having so little control over choices or times. Monday, I brought along carrots but ended up not eating them. Instead, I actually bought and ate some chips with my sandwich, after carefully reading the package.  But they weren't that good, and I finally woke from my munching trance to trash the few remaining in the bag.

Thursday, when I travelled out here, I remembered most places in Falmouth and Woods Hole aren't open for the season yet, so I bought a yummy Wolfgang Puck sandwich in the airport and ate it in the car on the way east. I saw the salads after I bought the sandwich (clearly not looking too hard) but then consoled myself with the thought I couldn't have eaten the salad while driving. Having saved all that time, I was able to take my walk when I arrived.

Today was a day with too much sitting around in one place. It is very hard to sit still for a nine hour meeting, even in the world's most gorgeous place with a lavish meal every few hours, and a constant supply of pastries and cookies. I had to take a walk, and a nice brisk one, swinging my arms and striding right out.  I got one in before and after dinner, a grand total of three and a half miles, more than 300 calories burned. Good for me.

I miss my alcohol. I've never been much of a drinker, but I really love a beer when I'm tired. It also helps enormously when having to mix in an unfamiliar social situation. I arrived at the cocktail hour determined to have club soda, and by the time I got to the bar I had decided on a lite beer. I blamed it on social anxiety, and it was very good.

No comments: