Sunday, April 25, 2010

So Easy to Regress

So there I was, complacently writing about my progress, all the while setting myself up for later sabotage. A loss of vigilance, a failure to plan, just casually moving through the day without regard for what it takes to be successful.

I had a hunger that wasn't driven by the need for energy. I felt like eating, aimed at the carbs, and kept on going for most of the day. All the time, I figured I would hit the reset tomorrow, but I was taking the day off. Why? What was going through my mind?

Remember the seven questions:

  1. What was the situation, and what were my sabotaging thoughts?
  2. Did I eat the food slowly, sitting down at the table and thinking about every bite?
  3. How do I feel now that I've given in?
  4. Had I reminded myself of the reasons I'm committed to weight loss?
  5. Did I try any resistance techniques?
  6. How can I avoid this situation in the future?
  7. What can I say to myself next time?
Time to refresh myself with reasons and modes of resistance.  Reading what I've done since I've started is actually motivating me to keep going.  

Here are the reasons I stated at the outset:

I will feel better in every way.
Clothes will fit better.
I'll look better to others and myself.
I won't be queasy in bed at night.
People who meet me will be nicer to me.
I might be able to avoid knee surgery.

I'll be proud of myself for doing it.
I will renew my self respect.
I won't go to bed cursing myself for my weakness.

Kids - I can be a better role model.
They won't be ashamed of me.
I'll be able to do things with them.
They are more likely to have a healthy relationship with food if I do.

The good news is today was much better. I'm set up with breakfast and lunch food for the week. I'll figure out what to do with dinners, but I've got a partner in HS helping me with that. We're agreed on a fruit and vegetable supply and it is going to help.

No comments: