Saturday, April 24, 2010

Progress

I've got some definite progress to report.


This shows my weight from 1990 to the present. Hooray!  I'm on my way down!  But take a look - the pattern shows a steady increase in weight from my low point in late 2000 to the peak just before New Year's.  In fact, the weight range I was last year more than caught up to the trend of where it would have been without the brief 2008 arresting of the trend.  It kind of looks inevitable, doesn't it?

But I think I'd like to focus on the postive here. I can lose weight, and it can take years to come back - it doesn't have to all come back in weeks.  I've spent ten years regaining what I lost in 18 months. Those ten years were worth it.



I like this perspective better for right now. My weight went up last year - and now its going down.  The last time I weighed this weight was January 2009. I can keep on going down past this milestone - by next month, I'll have crossed a new "10-pound" barrier.

The big deal on losing weight is to keep on going.  It is so easy to have a little bit of success, and then relax and give up.  I wrote before about 78 days - the average length of time most people stick to New Year's resolutions. I've beat that average, and I'm keeping going.  I'm going to the gym, I'm logging every bite, and I'm keeping up with the honest appraisal here.

No comments: