Tuesday, April 19, 2011

In the O.C.

I took a couple of days off from work to go to the beach with my girl and her dog. This was her idea:  "Let's take Tops to the beach!" and so the dog was kind of the whole point. I get it, but there are incredibly cheap deals at the luxury ocean front hotels right now, but only one spot - not so luxury, near but not on, the beach takes dogs. Three hours drive and poof! away from worldly things, to a honky tonk built up beach town. I've never been, and this is the only season I'd really like to come.

Up early, and Tops and I had the beach to ourselves. Not ready to let her swim yet, we jogged along the surf for a few blocks, then a nice walk back through the city blocks. Our room (with tiny terrace) on the fourth floor looks out over the bay side (this is a barrier beach island) and there is plenty of traffic on the main spine of the island.

The room has a fridge and microwave, so I brought some rudimentary provisions. I ate cold baked lemon chicken in the car last night, along with some clementines and a couple of the chocolate chip cookies my girl had baked.  Now, seagull noises over the traffic, me and my laptop are on the terrace with my motel-room coffee - but out of my own china mug from the car, not their styrofoam thing. Breakfast of my fancy cheese for me, pomegranate yogurt with granola (from Trader Joe's) for my girl, and we'll go exploring.

Crab cakes, cream of crab soup, ice cream, and a beer are likely in my future today. My plan is to to go with it, but try to walk and walk and walk. The boardwalk starts a couple blocks south of us, and stretches for three miles. It's what you are supposed to do in the O.C. - make the scene on the board walk. Hooray for road trips and hooray for out of my routine!

2 comments:

KCF said...

Fun! Walking is the dieter's best friend on vaca, for sure! Sounds like you got a good plan--pick the must-haves (hello crab anything in OC!), keep it moderate, and walk your patooti off. With a girl, dog and a boardwalk, you can't miss. What a nice one-on-one adventure for you both!

Anonymous said...

love OC

enjoy!

Liz