Friday, April 22, 2011

Commitments

I'm so very sensitive to the weather, and the volatility this time of year is driving me nuts. Wednesday it was in the 80's, but today never got to the upper half of the 40's!  Plus, it just rained. Dark and dreary. Sucks the energy right out of me. Oddly, once the sun went down and it was truly night time, it seemed less oppressive to me.

Here's what I've been thinking about:  Can I make a commitment to specific exercise goals, without signing up for a class or specific appointments? Can I "insource" some willpower and start moving more, regularly, sustained, motivated and reminded only by myself?  The idea of committing publicly to follow through on something specific is very scary, but its also part of why I do this blog, so I'm partly motivated by wanting to have a successful report.

I like the gym and personal training which has really helped my strength and my shape. I think I'm going to like yoga, which should give me flexibility and balance (and perhaps serenity?). But I need to be in better aerobic shape - I want to build up my endurance. I haven't been running on the treadmill or walking much, at least until the last couple of weeks. Finally, I'm getting out of the office at lunch, and even my 20 minute mile garden circuit is good.

I'm thinking two miles a day minimum is what I want to do. I've been thinking about trying to get in at least a mile before going in to work (on non-gym days). So far, I've thought about it while lying under the covers not making a move. Then I've been thinking about committing here is what I'm going to do. First I thought I should do two miles for a month. Then I thought, maybe a week. Then I thought, let's give it a couple of days and see if I can do it at all.

So I've done it since Tuesday - four days in a row. The first two were at the beach - so easy. Yesterday was a bit slower at work, so I got in time at lunch. But I looked out my office window at lunchtime today, and it was dark and dank, but probably not raining because pedestrians were not holding up umbrellas. Still, I didn't go out. Tonight, it is 43 degrees and drizzling, and I went out at 9 pm anyway and got in 2.25 miles, up and down the serpentine steep streets of my 'hood. I was dressed for it - foul weather gear, fleece, and an ipod - and the dog really enjoyed it too and I like letting the dog get some exercise. So just the weekend and Monday, and I will have done a week of walks. Then I'll see about making it to the end of the month... But long term commitments have not been my strong suit in the past. We'll see.

Two miles is really nothing. Forty minute or less. My quick lunchtime mile through the sculpture gardens for twenty minutes and then walking between my house and the kids, and I'm there. I've decided this has to be "walks" meaning adding up all the times I walk between my office and my bosses' during the day won't count - has to be outside, and has to be at least a half mile at a pop. I have in mind to sometimes jog a bit, and always at least hustle. I have to have rules. But they are my rules, and I can change them whenever I like.

Off to bed with the sense that at least I did something today while the day lasted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can.
But I agree - the commitment is to more regualr movemetn,a dn notto aparticular time/method... change rules as necessary.

The photo of C is stunning - those luminous dark eyes, the curve of cheek, and the purple flower. Excellent!

XXX
Liz