Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Reading: The Alternative to Life?

I've been a big reader all of my life. I learned to read early, learned to read fast, and was forbidden to watch tv as a child. Instead, I always had my nose in a book. I would walk to elementary school with the book open and my head down. My teachers would try to get me to put it down at recess but nothing was going on around the playground that was nearly as interesting as Swallows and Amazons. We moved a lot during an unfortunate time in my life- grades six, seven, eight and nine were each in different schools in different states and even different countries. But who needed friends when there were books?

As I moved on to adult life, my reading has ebbed and flowed in direct counterpoint to how busy and absorbing the rest of my life is. Without recounting all the ins and outs, I have sometimes wondered which was the cause and effect. Over the past several years, my life has been rich and full. I am completely incapable of putting a good book down and walking away from it. Thus, reading was relegated to a few deliberately lone weekends or solo business trips. I would save up my books, eying them on the shelf and walking around them until it was safe to pick one up, plunge in, and be gone to an alternate universe until the last page is done.

I discovered audiobooks on long drives, and adopted them also for chores and walks. But with audiobooks, you have to start and stop in arbitrary places when the activity is done. Plus, listening is three or four times slower than my reading speed. So my audiobooks are mostly nonfiction, or harder literary fiction, not mysteries or thrillers or fantasy novels. They are books where I am intellectually, rather than emotionally, engaged.

Now I've got my kindle. Suddenly, thousands of books are in the palm of my hand. I like to find mystery or science fiction authors, and then read a complete series. Neither the library nor Borders is likely to have older books in a series, but those are pure profit to Amazon to make available as only electrons.

I got the kindle barely a month ago. In that time, I've read eleven novels- probably more than all of last year put together. They vary in price from free (out of copyright nineteenth century books) to twelve dollars for a best seller only available in hardback. I've just come back from fourteenth century England, in Ken Follett's World Without End. The problem is, I was there almost all weekend. A gorgeous three day weekend, and I spent it on the couch. No walks, (but a sail- I had made a date, and a family dinner date). A fair amount of unconscious eating took place. I had a reasonable sized list of things that needed doing around the house, and crossed out just one small chore as complete. Right now, I'm blinking out, because I finished this absorbing book at 1:00 am this morning.

I think years of my life sped by while my nose was in a book. Now, with the whole literary universe in my fingers, can I manage to retain a grasp on the physical world and not upset my focus on my active life?

- iPhone uPdate

6 comments:

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Hi Nan. you are really something, all you do, the sail and the Vespa and the Kindle and the walks and the calorie tracking. you are my role model. i love your report about reading.....love it. as a child, did you buy books or get from library? thank you for sharing your blog link. alice :)

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

p.s. also amazed that you wrote and sent that blog post from your iPhone! hot stuff! i like that. alice

Anonymous said...

no help from me

I have the same busy/read light phenomena, but when it happens, I think my life is out of whack, and that things are better when I'm reading

so do it again next weekend!

Liz

Nan S said...

As a child and a young adult, I lived for the library. There were weekly visits, and when I started in junior high I was permitted in the grownup section of the library where I discovered science fiction.
I even worked in the University library for a few years after college - my first job was just shelving books - but it wasn't very challenging and more than a few books got opened and read rather than going straight onto the shelves. But sometime after getting busier I developed a real inability to return books to the library, so I pretty much just stopped going. Then Borders came to town, then Amazon got free shipping if you buy enough, and now I've got the kindle, so I won't see much of the public library again. Sad, because the library was vital to my development.

Nan S said...

Liz - the problem is, I actually don't do things I WANT to do, or things I NEED to do, because I'm in the middle of a book. I love walking, but no walks last weekend. Plus I meant to sit down and do some financial stuff... but its all still waiting for me.

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

nan, I love that you spent so much time in the library! it seems like a quaint thing now, something our kids won't really treasure, you know? i also used to love going to the little library in our town for mystery books. getting the card stamped, hoping the book you wanted was there, interacting with the librarian--and our library was in a converted old house--the Dixon Homestead, so it had winding staircase etc. Kind of alluring. alice