Sunday, September 19, 2010

What are the Odds?

The coffee is on the timer. The alarm is set. Clothes are both packed and laid out. All I need to do is roll out the door with shoes on and coffee in hand, to arrive at work in time to use the gym there before the office.

For years I said I hated the idea of going to the gym in the morning because I'd have to get dressed and go out twice, including getting ready for work in a locker room. Now I am going regularly to a gym a mile away very early, for an appointment with a trainer. I manage to leave the house 25 minutes after the alarm goes off, and I return home (three minutes drive) to get ready for work in my comfortable and familiar surroundings.

But I want more aerobic activity, and the same logic that drove me to schedule appointments at six in the morning is compelling me to think about using the gym at work, before work in the morning. I've proven I can roll out of bed and into the car fairly quickly. Because the drive is longer, I don't have to drink any coffee before leaving (there is no point trying to exercise without some caffeine in me). I'm actually sleeping in a half hour later than a gym day, because I'm trying for only a half hour of exercise.

The plan is to go right from the garage to the gym, work out, and then shower and change and drop the bag back in the car before heading up to the office. With work clothes and shower kit packed, this should work, right?  It didn't work last week, but I'll try again tomorrow.  Last Monday, the alarm went off, I rolled over, and then it was forty-five minutes later, as if I had dropped through a time warp.

So what are the odds this week? At least, they are much better for having declared my intentions publicly here.

No comments: