Thursday, September 2, 2010

Road Food Choices

It's been a stressful time, full of emotion and busyness. I've kept pretty active, but I haven't bothered to think through food choices in advance. As a consequence, I've not been eating too well.  Oh, maybe its too well. I'm not eating bad or indifferent food, just not healthful or portion controlled enough.

In Ohio, there were not a lot of great healthful choices. I had a week's worth of calories in an Oberlin cheese steak, with the thick and hole-ly bread pan fried, and sauteed onions added to the beef and cheese stacked inside, and great slices of home fries on the side. Later, touring the Lake Erie shore, I took a walk and ended with a great ice cream cone by the beach. The next day, it was a hot dog and ice cream cone (and change returned from a five dollar bill!). Today, with a much wider variety of more sophisticated eateries to choose from in Ann Arbor, I got a fabulous fajita steak salad, with fresh corn and radishes and onions and tomatoes and tortilla strips stirred into the mix. Good colorful vegetables, but probably another week's worth of food. Then there was a party tonight, with a buffet, and a beer followed by cake and ice cream after the candles were blown out.

In the midst of all of this, there is lots of walking. Nothing very vigorous, but lots and lots of it. I'm really enjoying the walking, and I did buy two pairs of fabulous comfortable shoes to wear on future expeditions - totally unnecessary, but they make me feel good when I see them.

I'll buckle down again when I get home, but this is a fun interlude.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, those are UBER-cute shoes, and they match your toes - full sartorial points

happy fall, happy new beginnings!

Liz