Friday, September 3, 2010

The New Normal: I Like to Move

So yeah, I'm eating a lot. But I also am moving a lot, and hardly noticing it.  I just plugged in my armband device and got the stats from this week - college campuses (both Oberlin and Ann Arbor) involve a lot of walking, and my friends here in Ann Arbor love to walk (and they have an adolescent golden retriever that really really likes to walk).

I've averaged over 10,000 steps every day for the past week, my calorie burn has been a respectable 2200 per day, and yesterday I did over 16,000 steps and 2400 calories!  I'm probably still out of balance in my eating (yes, both beer and ice cream are figuring in the mix) but at least the moving feels just perfectly normal, and I'm ready for more. It was specifically to get my energy level up that I started on this exercise journey - I'm getting out there and doing things.

We've already done over 7,000 steps this morning with the morning walk in the woods they do every single morning. (What a lucky dog!)  It was a very slow pace, though over hilly glacial terrain, but its social and pleasant and a terrific way to start the day. Here is what the iphone said we did this morning:

Shortened Google Maps URL: http://j.mp/9LeRQ2
Started: Sep 3, 2010 6:37:39 AM
Walk Time: 1:20:06
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 2.68 miles
Average: 29:52 /mile
Fastest Pace: 20:51 /mile
Climb: 643 feet
Calories: 258


And all by 8 am - with no thought of slowing down for the rest of the day.

No comments: