Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Week in Activity

Not very impressive this week on the moving front.  Pretty much, I kept my gym appointments, but didn't do much else. A big part of the problem was tossing and turning during the night - the last week was about the worst sleep I've had in months. The rest of the problem is the pace at work.  We are phenomenally busy, doing many different things, some of which are really rewarding, others which make a difference, and others which do both, and of course those that do neither. I've got new staff, and more new folks coming on soon, so this pace will not last forever, but its going to last quite a while.

So how bad was the week?  Sunday, I was an indoor slug and didn't make total calories. Monday, I made total calories primarily because I was able to walk down to another office building a half mile away, and walk back as well.  Tuesday, gym appointment.  I had to go to a meeting down by the ball park, and hoped to be able to walk back. But the meeting ran late and someone called to squeeze in another huddle, so I had to metro back and even eat lunch on the fly in my ad hoc meeting. (Luckily I had brought it, just needed the extra four minutes to microwave it.)  Wednesday, never left the building and didn't even take the time to walk up my nine flights of stairs. Thursday,before dawn gym but then confined to a meeting room for six hours. Actually a bright spot occurred:  long enough lunch break to stroll in the vivid through frigid sun, then home before dark and just over a mile through the park at a rapid clip.  Friday, I never even budged from my own office complex, with adrenalin pounding over getting pieces of paper pulled together to meet fairly arbitrary deadlines on unessential things. I love my job, but some things are just silly, and it frustrates me that I have to sacrifice my energy breaks for these kinds of things.

Today I was awake and alert at the (post-sunrise) gym, and stayed to jog on the treadmill.  If I really wanted to move ahead on the running, I would need to do it more than one day a week, but I don't see that happening any time soon. But still, I'm pretty confident that I'm progressing. I love those intervals. I watched my distances, and I complete two miles in exactly 30 minutes, so the average pace is easy to figure out. I jogged in four intervals for a mile and a quarter of the two miles total.

I did a quick search of "couch to 5K". There are several different versions of six or eight week training programs, relying on intervals, to get to be able to run five kilometers, which is just over three miles. I would love to get there, but it would take at least three sessions a week, at least 45 minutes each. I'm not going to be able to allocate that time for at least a little while longer. Something to noodle around, however.

No comments: