Saturday, December 4, 2010

Drinking Chocolate

I've never been a big fan of hot chocolate or hot cocoa. However, while visiting a friend in Brooklyn this fall, I had a life changing cup of hot chocolate from Pierre Torres in Dumbo.

It was scorching hot, rich dark chocolate, not too sweet. Each sip was a delight. I want to have that experience again, but it will be a bit of a quest. One where the journey will be at least as interesting as the prize.

Of course I've visited the Pierre Torres website and I could simply order their mix. But that would be way too easy- and truly devastating if it is not the same. So first I'm trying some closer to home approaches.

I think I've never had anything but Nestles or Swiss Miss before, so there is actually a whole world for me to explore. And part of it has to be the experience and circumstances around the actual consumption.

I acquired some "Drinking Chocolate" from Whole Foods right when I came back from Brooklyn. It's from the Dominican Republic, 73%. According to the box, "rich, earthy, and bittersweet". I put it aside, because we had a warming trend, and other things such as pumpkin pies to eat.

Today, I finally hit the point where it is sufficiently cold outside, and I've been sufficiently active in the cold to be able to handle the 250 or so calories from a cup of this.

Two percent milk is what we have, warmed in the microwave. Two heaping tablespoons of chocolate powder. A cup of deliciousness.

The verdict? It's not that easy to satisfy the quest. This was very good. Very dark chocolaty, and, yes, earthy. But it's too sweet. I could do with much less sugar.

Now I have a reference point. I've studied the label: 14 grams of carbohydrate (9 grams of sugar). Too much. Keep looking. (But the rest of this box is worth using up, certainly).


- iPhone uPdate

No comments: