Sunday, May 23, 2010

Got to Count

I slacked off this week on counting calories. Several events made it hard to estimate, and so I just blew it off and grabbed a number for the day.

The free iphone app I use has a limited database, and often is off when I check labels.  If I graze at a party or food bar, it becomes very difficult to get portion size and an accurate count. But it's better than not counting.

Yesterday, I didn't log anything during the day but I just did and am disappointed in the result. I was fine till dinner, and went to a small chain restaurant for takeout. I was torn between two dishes, and took the one I was pretty sure had more calories. I had decided on dessert, and I got one of those huge bakery cookies. (I was treating and punishing myself simultaneously for not handling an adolescent incident properly.)

But had I looked things up first, I'm pretty sure the results would have been quite different. There was a whole TWO HUNDRED calories difference between the two dishes I was on the fence over. But the real topper was the cookie. According to the web site, one cookie has THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY calories!!!  It wasn't even all that good. I ended up with as many calories as I did on the cruise. So unnecessary.

Know before you go. And count and plan. This is basic beginning-of-the-diet stuff, and when doing anything different from my same old routines, I better count first and eat later.

No comments: