Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The Oscars Game

Friends have introduced me to the Oscars Game: Try to watch all of the top contenders for the top awards before the awards show happens. Then, share opinions by texting or tweeting during the show, since we now have informed opinions about these movies. Part of the problem in Normal Times is simply trying to guess which movies are contenders (so there is enough lead time to see them all), and then trying to get to the theater or find a way to stream them, before time runs out. Luckily, this year, most of them should be available for streaming, if at a sometimes steep price.

Left to my own devices, I would see far fewer movies. But I enjoy entering into the spirit of the Game. Sometimes, the chase leads me to see movies I would otherwise skip. Here is my list of possible contenders. I copied the outlines from a friend, and then I've added some additional. The list contains some movies I have no intention of watching, but others think are Oscar-worthy.

Ammonite O
Fossils Rent
Another Round O
Drunk Danes Rent
Da Five Bloods X   Vietnam Vets Netflix
The Father __
Senile dad
The Forty-year-old Version X   Playwright Rapper  
French Exit __
Aging in Paris
Hillbilly Elegy No


Judas & the Black Messiah O
Black Panthers HBO 
The Life Ahead __
Sofia Loren Netflix
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom X   Musicians
Malcolm and Marie No
Abusive relationship
Mank __
Citizen Kane
The Mauritanian O
Guantanamo Bay
Minari O
Koreans in Arkansas Rent
Miss Juneteenth O
Mother/Daughter Rent
Never Rarely Sometimes Always O
Teen Abortion HBO  
News of The World O
Reconstruction Texas Rent
Nomadland X   Road Trip Hulu
On the Rocks __
Bill Murray Apple
One Night in Miami O
Talking Prime
Palm Springs X   Groundhog Day
Pieces of a Woman __
Dead baby Netflix
The Prom No
Gay highschool girl Netflix
Promising Young Woman X   Revenge Rental
Shirley No
Shirley Jackson
Soul X   Cartoon Jazz Player  
Sound of Metal X   Deaf Drummer Prime
Trial of the Chicago 7 X   Abby Hoffman  
U.S. vs Billie Holiday O
Censorship Hulu
The Way Back O
Basketball HBO

If there is an "X" I've seen it. If there is an "O" I will (probably) see it. If there is an underscore, I haven't decided. And a few are just plain "No".

I am being very careful about what I see. I have seen movies in the past that depressed my mood for days. I'm not wanting to risk that right now. But there aren't a lot of rom-coms on this list - maybe Palm Springs? Maybe The Prom, though that got really bad reviews. One thing I like about streaming at home - I can stop a movie, and come back later, or even never if I really didn't care for it. 

What do I think of the movies I've seen? That would require a different post.

2 comments:

KCF said...

I love that you're in the "game"! And I love your notes to self!

Liz said...

This is a great list. Agree with your no decisions. I too am being careful with media intake since there’s less competition to push a tough experience aside. One diversity here which is great.
Liz