Sunday, May 27, 2012

Tracking on a Wedding Weekend

I'm doing a couple of things to keep me tracking, though not necessarily on-track. First, I'm doing the occasional blog post here, though I haven't really made you any promises, have I? Second, I set up an account on Beeminder, and I set a goal there of tracking seven days a week. I'm doing the tracking through WW on-line cool tools, and it's so easy. I get a text once a day, and respond with a "1" if I tracked every bite, some kind of ration eg 1/3 if I only did some tracking, and silence if I didn't. Because of the way it works, pure arithmetic on a graph and a penalty if you fall below the trend line, I have incentive to track even partial days, and that is keeping me mindful.

Stress is out the top of the roof around here. Work is truly awful and will be for some time to come, with a major problem that is my responsibility. My mother can't remember anything for more than 2 seconds and is very anxious and scared about all that portends (as are we all). My brother-in-law is trying to run his business remotely and is on the phone constantly. The teenager with us sits in an iPhone cocoon, in a world of her own. The older boys have various issues to be dealt with from afar: how do you get cash across the country to the happy go lucky college kid without a bank? MoneyGram! My alarm at 6 am to send a text to the high school kid: Did you wake up to get to your rescheduled AP exam on time? Who exactly is giving you a ride to rural Virginia for the weekend?

And the wedding... Involving two blended families, with step-parents and in-laws and a tiny two bedroom house to be set in order for an unknown number of up to 100 guests, including the governor of South Carolina (and associated security), stress was very very high for my brother. Our job was just to figure out what could be done and do it. Thus the trip to Lowes in my wedding finery, to buy another couple hundred bottles of water for the 90+ degree day.

But everything was beautiful, especially the bride. Happiness welled up from everybody and it was glorious.

But what about me? I tracked to a new highest point total EVER the day before the wedding, and that got me out for a run the last two mornings, to earn back some activity points to try to cover the whole. It didn't, but it's got to help. so taking just a moment to track, so easy, is having an impact.

1 comment:

KCF said...

Wow! There is a lot going on with you and yours! So glad you're hanging on to a bit of mindfulness in the swirl of it all. I find that even if it only curbs a weekend like this a tiny bit, it makes the transition back to real life so much better. Sending worried good thoughts to Mom...