Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Actually Tracking Versus Just Thinking About It

The special occasions continue to mount. Today was the office holiday potluck.  I felt like I didn't do too badly, even if I did visit the dessert table twice.  They were such tiny portions I took.  But I sat down after dinner tonight (chicken in bottled curry sauce, asparagus, rice) and decided to try to estimate it all.  I was appalled!  It comes out to 41 points for the day!

Alarmed, I went back to track yesterday (Monday is the start of my WW week) and discovered my two slices of oh-so-good made by my girl pumpkin bread brought yesterday's total to 41 points as well!  Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!  Some thing's gotta change here!

I do have to note how insulted I am when I read that "free living" people (versus confined in institutions people) are notoriously inaccurate in our food diaries.  As possible overcompensation, I try to be really generous in estimated portion sizes for tracking.  But the temptation to whittle it down (surely that was only five ounces, not six) and watch the point total shrink in proportion is really strong.

The way WW works is I get a daily total (26 points) and a weekly set of extra points to use when I need them. Any activity I log can be used as extra points. My morning gym appointments get me three points each. Sticking within the daily total is difficult unless I really really focus on major vegetables. I do have some weekly points left, and I can certainly start to get more activity points built up, but I want to try to stay within my limits. Thus, when my girl needed an emergency run for more lip gloss (smooth lips are very important to her), we went all the way to the supermarket to make sure we've got what we need for a leafy-greens-based dinner tomorrow.

Looking at the actual points written down and added up, versus just casting back through the day mentally, has really been a wake-up call.  Got to stay grounded in reality. Time to go back to tediously accounting for everything, and even more tiresomely, planning out meals well in advance and making sure I've got all the ingredients on hand.  It's the only way to get through this holiday season without having to re-do this whole year's worth of weight loss all over again.

2 comments:

KCF said...

yup, it's really sobering. the tracking in non-holiday season is heard enough, but the little extras of the holidays-even eaten in relative, mindful moderation--add up and add up quick.

Liz said...

word

Liz