Saturday, December 17, 2011

Activity versus Eating

I've successfully tracked in WW all this week.  My activity is definitely up, thanks to my new toy in the basement. I'm tracking the activity as well, and WW uses this to offset some food consumed. However, it takes a lot of activity to really make a difference.

WW has three kinds of points that can be used as your eating allowance: daily, weekly, and activity.  Daily points are always used up first. There are several options for how to use weekly and activity points to account for more than daily points.  I've set it up so it uses any activity points earned before any weekly points, and activity I'm earning now - even today and tomorrow - can be used to offset all the food I consumed at the beginning of the week.  I entered my gym visit this morning, and those points were immediately applied to Monday's excess, and more "weekly" points were put back in the bank. But all the exercise I've done all week still does not cover Monday's consumption.  Wow.

Even so, this kind of feels like cheating to me. I know it is just accounting, and daily numbers matter much less than long term trends. But this is the most generous treatment of activity points. I can exercise tomorrow to offset Monday and Tuesday?  I'm going to stick with this for now, but I figure on getting really serious about losing after New Year's. I'm thinking activity points should only be used on the day they are earned, which means any day with a binge will be largely offset by the weekly allowance, which means the weekly allowance will get eaten up faster. So to speak.

1 comment:

Liz said...

eaten up faster? GROAN

NOT MUCH GOOD TO SAY ABOUT DECADES OF WEIGHT CONTROL EFFORTS BUT BEING ABLE TO SPOT A LOOPHOLE IN A PROGRAM WHICH WOULD BE YOUR PERSONAL WATERLOO IS ONE OF THEM... we may be heavier than we like, but we're cagy!

Liz