Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Less I Do, the Less I Do

It's so true that just as activity breeds activity, so unabridged becomes a state of being. I had a particularly slug-like week. I cleared the decks so I would have time to cook, and then ended up not having to do much at all. It was wonderful, and I was filled with ambitious plans for all the extra time.

But basically I laid around and vegetated. I read three books and saw three movies. I kept my gym appointments and even added a run one morning. But I did no chores, took no walks, did a little on-line shopping for the kids, and slept.

I've been sleeping more than eight hours most nights, with restless periods in the middle eating into it's value to me. It's got to be the lack of light. Even before it turned cold this week, I just wanted to huddle under the covers and doze and read and doze. Yesterday was a predictably slow day at work, but I did not bring my gym bag and couldn't convince myself to venture out for a walk. I stayed in my office and was quite productive and creative, in a very sedentary and calorie-conserving way.

But I was up and out early this morning, first to the gym then up to the boat to take her apart for the winter. A little more outdoor time is what I need, to get some sunshine deep into my reptile brain.

It's the coldest it's been so far this year, but I'm wearing my fleece-lined jeans that haven't fit for at least a couple of years, so things are not all bad. I'm warm and pleased with myself, a good combination

Got to keep accountability here and food tracking consciousness going, or it will be so easy to just slide back into bread and pasta with a book each night.

- iPhone uPdate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you

I used to walk and then swim, and now I get up and piddle around, then swim, and the longer it goes, the more impossible it seems to do both - and I did both for months and months!

glad you are getting more sleep - you look glorious - fresh-faced and energetic, so the bread/pasta hasn't caught up with you!!

Liz