Sunday, June 28, 2020

Still Maybe

The Iceland trip has approached and receded.

Can I go?

Do I want to go?

The answers to these questions are still up in the air.

First, the NY Times reported that the EU will likely exclude the U.S. from ordinary travel when they further open their borders on July 1. This puts us in the same category as Brazil, which is only fair. It's based on the numbers. But, "likely" is the operative term there. Nothing has been finalized. And, Iceland is not a member of the EU , but is part of the Schengen travel area. Iceland might decide to go their own way. Again, there is nothing official from the government of Iceland. Just a news article saying that the EU is mighty mad at little Iceland for even considering such a thing. And quoting a minister in Iceland saying "we had hoped" to both open to Iceland and have the U.S. open to them, and they are very sad the U.S. wasn't letting Icelanders in. This was in an English language paper produced in Iceland. How much does one read into the exact wording, by non-native speakers of English? Is it a done deal? Earlier press reports had said to expect further news on plans for July and beyond by June 26, but that has come and gone with no news.

Meanwhile, my rescheduled lovely non-stops from here to Iceland have been cancelled. All of them, from anywhere in the U.S. to Iceland, for weeks, are cancelled. Icelandair is in financial trouble, and a significant amount of their business is actually from the U.S. to Europe, with or without an actual visit to Iceland in the middle. So if Europe nixes us, even if Iceland itself is open to us, they may not be able to make enough money to carry on. They are offering refunds, which I've applied for, but if they go under I'll be out of luck (see Wow Air).

So back on the internet. Canada is on the "ok" list for Europe (which can be considered the provisional list for Iceland). So I could book flights, 20 hours each way, from DC to Montreal to Frankfurt to Reykjavik and back again. Four airports versus two, and unknown exposure on each of six flights total. Multiplies the risk significantly, yes? What's the point of booking if I won't be allowed in, anyway?

I have not yet reached out to the sailboat people. I'm hanging here, waiting to see what is the official word from the government of Iceland, which removes all choice. But I'm not at all sure I want to pay a third time for flights that will be uncomfortable and put me at risk.

I've got a couple of days of full-time work Monday and Tuesday, the "outside expert panel" I'm serving on related to my former employment. That'll keep me busy and not thinking so much about this. By Wednesday, July 1, I'll either be told I can't or I'll have to choose for myself. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Liz said...

O yuck, what a pain. Have to say, less enthused about your travel with the spike, but I want what you want. Def hoping hard for your refunds.
Liz