Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Swedish Death Cleaning (NOT)

Swedish death cleaning is, of course, the practice of old people in Sweden to get rid of all their stuff to make life easier for their heirs. I'm so lucky my mother downsized from her house to a two bedroom apartment, but she managed to cram a LOT of stuff into this apartment. And, it was a lot of terrific stuff.

I finally hired someone to finish this off. But I'm wimping out on getting rid of stuff. More and more stuff is going into storage, deferring the hardest decisions. But in the meantime, I'm making space and incorporating more of my mother's stuff into my own house. Call it Norwegian Death Decorating.

I love this!
I'm committed to less stuff overall. (I'm reading both The Minimalist Home and Outer Order, Inner Calm as I do this.) I don't want to end up crowded and cluttered. So I'm getting rid of some of my stuff as I'm appropriating things from my mother's place. There is, for example, a small chest I've just put at my front door. I moved one tall bookshelf down to the basement (which was in the plan) and I'm surplussing entirely a smaller bookcase.

I'm also re-thinking my "no seasonal decorations" stance. There are lots of smaller, cool, things my mother had that I want to keep. They make me smile. But I don't want the overwhelming clutter they bring. So I'm trying to develop a system where I can have changing displays, maybe three different ones? Not counting Christmas, which I love to pieces. But I don't need it all - just a few things to switch it up.

I'm looking forward to getting out of the apartment and moving forward.

2 comments:

Liz said...

So, beware pillows, addictive! Joking aside, I feel more in touch with nature if I mellow colors in the fall, lighten in the spring. If you can put a long shelf in the basement, your seasonal stuff is a display in that room, and you switch out pieces upstairs. Depends on your taste, but does not have to be a lot -maybe small tablescapes for Dr table and LR coffee table - two obhects from collection, Candle or small vase in seasonal color.

I spend too much time on this. But agree proportion is key. But nice to use things you smile at.

Saying giving up is harsh. You have performed triage, and mAde an excellent beginning, but maybe a year from now you will miss seeing some things. We can take some boxes in our attic if u r feeling cramped. Good work, Nan.
Liz

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Nan, I am so impressed with you. Truly, Death Cleaning of any kind, before or after someone dies, is so NOT my strength. Sis took on the brunt of it, and that really wasn't fair but I am terrible at it. I want to keep everything. I wonder where my parents got it, what my Dad fixed with that screwdriver, what kinds of cake my mom made with that mixer. I am so grateful, tho, that I cleaned out my home office this summer when Punch was with Mimi. I removed bags of things and restacked my beloved books [only gave one bagful away]. Punch has the Swedish Death Cleaning gene, God bless her. She has really streamlined the possessions in a girl's room. To the point of taking it upon herself to get a big book shelf down the stairs and out to the curb when we weren't home. It was IKEA, and Dan had built it for her....sending love...have fun at Liz and Peter's Thursday.