Monday, January 22, 2018

I'm Gaining Weight

After years of success, after losing weight, managing it within an acceptable band, pushing it to my "goal weight", I've done the classic rebound. There is no mystery here - I'm eating way too many sweets. I start out every day with good intentions and usually good food. But from about 3 pm on, I can't be trusted. I'm eating chocolate, and sometime not even good chocolate.

Here's what happened to my eating in the last year:  I decided I'm not on a diet. I've decided I'm a master weightcontrol ninja, never to be worried about what the scale says on a given day. I've beaten the odds, I'm in the 10% who are successful at this. So relax and enjoy life.

This hasn't worked for me, as the graphs will show. It appears I can't (yet, maybe never) trust to the mindful wisdom of the body to make sure I don't over eat.

I'm writing in other posts some analysis, and what I'm doing about it, so I'm going to keep this post just to the stats.
This is the long view, which is helpful to remind me I've been worse.
This is the last couple of years, after reaching goal, to remind me how things have changed recently.
It's not too late to turn this back around!


2 comments:

Liz said...

I think you can change your relationship to food, and I think you can change your habits around food, but I don’t know if you can change your basic feeling and thought about food.

For me, food is good, and sweets are best, and when I get tired or stressed, that’s where I go. And it is pretty much the only place I go since I gave up smoking, am careful about booze, and cannot get a massage whenever I want. This is the flip of the mind-body connection - when we are all roiled up in our thoughts, we also want to comfort our physical self.

The goal of not getting so roiled up and in need of the comfort is worthy, but I don’t know if you can successfully (or healthily) substitute for food when everything heads south. It’s perfect - readily available, convenient, requires no assistance, inexpensive, little social cost (for eating, plenty for weight).

I am simultaneously besieged, bored, and upset at work, and struggle, struggle, struggle not to overeat every day.

Shorter version: absolutely not too late to turn around weight trend, and you remain a weight control ninja based on your tools and skill in using them. But you’re not a natural at weight control because very few of us are indifferent to food, and you are not one of them. Big club!

Liz

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

I love what Liz wrote and you ARE a ninja!