Monday, October 16, 2017

My Weight

I pretty much only report on my weight here when it's gone down for at least a week or two. This hasn't been conscious on my part.  It turns out I only take the trouble to make the graph when I expect to see some relatively good news. I continue to weigh myself every day and see that number. In addition, there is an app that automatically gets that number and I often go look at that graph. So I'm not unaware of what is happening. I just haven't felt like showing it to the world in it's multi-colored awkward trend. I think this is a flaw - it's when things are going badly I should reach out for help.

Anyway, here is what has happened:

I reached my goal for a little while at the end of 2015, and it has been a classic rebound since then. While it's safe to say I've arrested the climb, I am not comfortable at this weight and would like to be about ten pounds less.

Looking at the rebound is humbling. I was pretty cocky a couple of years ago. "I've got this. I've cracked this problem. Conventional wisdom, on how diets don't work because you always gain it back, doesn't apply to me. Not anymore, I've got this."

So yeah, I guess I'm a little more average than I thought. But I still think diets do work - it's all a matter of definition. I really enjoyed being 10-20 pounds less than I am today, even if it was only for a year and a half. (I could do a whole post about what I liked about it - maybe later.) Besides, I've got the longer perspective to reflect on. I've kept the bulk of my weight off for much longer than a couple of years, so I still have beat the odds overall.

This weight gain is certainly not ruining my life, but I see advantages to being slightly smaller. (Easier to buy clothes is just one quick example.) So I'm keyed to the mindfulness and cooking thing, and I'm pretty content at the way it's going at this moment.

2 comments:

KCF said...

honestly, Nan, you remain an inspiration to me. It is hard to lose and maintain weight loss, but for the most part you have managed to do that and keep significant gains in check. Brava!

Liz said...

The real trick Is staying lucky and out of crisis. Because eating well takes time and planning, in crunch time, you eat what is at hand. Sadly when you have a demanding job, an exercise schedule, and relationships to maintain - including pets! - there is not much margin for addressing emergencies.

There should be 24 hour chef rescue, and you can call and have your meals and snacks delivered when all goes to hell.
Congrats on coming out the other side, and a week of good eating.
Liz