Saturday, April 8, 2017

Mindfulness

I'm going deep into mindful eating. I'm not yet ready to say if this will make a permanent difference, but I feel changes to my relationship with food underway.

I took a meditation class a few years ago (and wrote a bit about it here) - the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course, MBSR, a practice developed and standardized at University of Massachusetts hospital for those chronically (physically) ill, and now studied and applied to a variety of situations, such as depression. Since then, I have irregularly meditated on my own, and with the use of recorded guided meditations (of course there are apps for this). From the course, I've seen there are three main strands of guided meditations - general, the body scan, and loving kindness. I've done general meditations for stress and body scans for my chronic backpain, and turned away from the loving kindness which seems the most woo-woo and out there, but not especially for eating.

A blogger I follow, Dayra Rose of the Summer Tomato, sponsored a five-day mindful eating challenge, with daily email videos coaching what to do that day, and a facebook group to share experiences. The basics are "pick one meal, put away all distractions, thoroughly chew and taste and swallow each bite, don't fill your fork until you have swallowed." Specific days had specific things to focus on during the experience. It was useful, and felt like I was on the right track, though not any earth-shattering breakthroughs. The pause to make sure I am experiencing the food, chewing it, tasting it, and not just shoveling it in, has persisted.

So I went to my current meditation app, "10% Happier", which has a combination of discussions about how and why to apply mindfulness to different situations, and they have a 9-section course with Dr Judson Brewer. Brewer has apparently developed a successful practice at treating addiction using mindfulness and is now applying the techniques to the (more lucrative) diet industry.  I did that course, and it kept me mindful, and introduced me to a new practice about riding out cravings, "surf the urge". Don't fight a craving, don't push it away, embrace it and investigate it. As it turns out, Brewer has his own complete app, Eat Right Now, (not free) with months of video coaching and specific meditation guidance, and its own community to share experiences. I've been faithfully daily following that for 20 days (they keep count for you). So this journey has been steady for many weeks now. Finally, I feel like my relationship to food is actually changing.

I think I eat pretty well (though sometimes too much) day in and day out - until about 4 pm each day. I know what food my body likes and I've upped the deliciousness factor as well. I mostly cook at home, or buy not terribly processed meals like salads. I told my doctor I may be her only patient that actually eats seven servings of vegetables every day.

But here's the thing:  I have portion control problems at every meal. I will eat what is served for breakfast and lunch, always always cleaning my plate even if I bought a huge prepared salad. I like the full feeling in my stomach. I have a terrible tendency to binge in the evenings, when my body is jonesing for something, and I can't rest until I feed it. Sometimes the binge is simply on my dinner, seconds and thirds, cleaning the pot of food I'd hoped to eat all week. Often, the binge is sweets, which continue to be in my house because I like sweets and don't want to lead a life of constant denial. I also sometimes feel the imperative so strong I will get in my car in the dark and the cold and go to the supermarket to buy ice cream. I feel I can't rest until I do.

So the mindfulness is helping me break this cycle, with the pause before eating, a pause while eating, and embracing and investigating my cravings while they happen. This feels different. But, I struggle intellectually with some of this, and think about how to put this experience into my other bits and pieces I've learned about myself and other humans, how willpower and self-talk and data and analysis fit together with this. This long post is to catch up with myself, reflect on where I've been with this, and I hope to build from this to additional posts investigating some of these intersections and contradictions.

Question to ponder until next essay: willpower is hard, and won't work for the long term to manage eating. What is the difference between mindfulness contemplation of eating in order to not eat too much or unhealthily, and using willpower to resist eating too much or unhealthily?

7 comments:

KCF said...

love this. i'm taking it over to my blog because the comment go so long here!

Liz said...

Cross your fingers - I lost two long comments, will try again. If this is terse, I am a little frustrated by losing 20 minutes.

I need to have fun every day, and I can't eat what I want. I will never convince myself that food is not fun, but I can convince myself that there is other fun. And I need to fuel every few hours. I need to think of it as fuel, because I am making myself eat what I planned to eat, and I am not thinking about what I want to eat. Food is fuel is something I can accept, and I do pretty well on eating what is planned.

Liz said...

Ha! Can't steal a long comment if I post short ones!

Harder part - where is my fun? Went to gym, planned fuel stops including juice, logged on, called dentist... either got frustrated earlier or made it to late afternoon, been up for 12 hours and been busy. Now I am tired. What I want is to go read with a bag of candy or chips, or watch tv, also while eating. I power thru, get to dinner -which is relaxing and company and fun. Who wants that to end? Particularly if the evening has a meeting or an errand or chores.

So I am not getting shit done. Bathroom remodel slowed, filing piled up, notes unwritten. But I am adding fun to my day which is not food. Web surfing, phone calls with friends, mooching around with peter. And it is working.

For years now I let my life get out of whack, where I felt driven most of the time and a need to use food as fun because it is time efficient. I can be productive if I just keep pumping in that sugar. I had some crisis years, but now what I have is no crisis but bad habits in terms of drive, drive, no breaks u tile you tick off your list.


Liz said...

Until you tick off your list.
BTW, it is funny for me to read what I just wrote, because I was not a powerhouse of productivity in crisis mode. But I got thru some bad stuff, and added on some research/action plans and shuffled money, and kept my job and my relationships, albeit some strain on both. Anyway, that is in the past.

Basically, even though my job is demanding and I have added exercise and food prep stuff, my day is still less hectic than when the boys were part of my daily schedule. The job at best will stay the same, and the time on health stuff probably will increase, though I hope to god slowly. So this is the best time ever to figure this out (and it is so cool that we came to this realization together and can talk about it).

Liz said...

So, I fuel up - eating planned foods every few hours. While I insist on tipping the hat to myself in the mirror - because it is a pita planning food - sadly, food is fuel is the easier part.

Part two - what is more fun than food? Mindfulness and willpower are not going to get me far -those are deprivation strategies, and my day is filled with I gotta instead of I wanna - though in the big picture I like my choices. Also think it is important to look in the mirror on that point. It is no use at all for me to plan weight loss if the job or health or relationships take a major whack. But I have put thought into what I want and can expect and whether it is a deal I want from my job and my relationships, and I am ok -no big changes in sight.

But I can build in margins in my mental and physical well being so I don't mistake smallish mishaps for crisis mode and over react. There are issues where I will for-fucking-ever have a low startle point, but if I have fun every day, that list doesn't expand, and I don't kid myself that a bunch of unexpected markups on an order is a must overeat occasion (whereas the election was a overeating occasion for a while).

Fun every day, and mostly not food. Gotta say, Have a great partner for this. Sometimes I think he's slug, but he points out that is only compared to me and my friends, who are insane (kisses from Peter!). I can say I'm gonna, and then I can say, changed my mind, rather watch iron Fist with you, and he invariably cheers. I say peter I feel bad I haven't picked out the fixtures, and he says, you got a lot going on -even tho he is pretty sick of camping out in wills room while I have fun instead of working on the remodel in every spare moment.
So another tip of the hat to my most consistent source of fun.(though his overeating since he quit smoking presents other issues in terms of what is around the house).

Liz said...

Boy, I am an undisciplined writer. Was there a point?

Food is fuel, and other fun than food, is working. I don't have hard data because record keeping is not in my fun zone, but I wore a dress to a party this weekend that I couldn't wear a few months ago. I haven't had sweets or booze this lent with two planned and one unplanned exceptions. And those were single drinks and one piece of cake, not bad hours or days.

Learning from you guys (and I include Alice and her TCOY lists), I realize that my fuel stops are not ideal, and as I lose the easier, initial weight, I will have to tweak the fuel stops to reduce either caloric intake or frequency, but that seems achievable.

Another digression -I got some negative reinforcement with some of the photos from the parties. My niece and nephew who grew up with a photographer mother not only fall into good poses at a snap, but have an unholy awareness of where cameras are and how to avoid/orient themselves. I long for this superpower. You would not believe the godawful candids I saw ON A DAY I THOUGHT I LOOKED GOOD.

Right now on a daily basis I am trying to make sure I have some fun-not a good day at work, or a good day with exercise, or hitting the planned fuelstops, or ticking off some errands but a laugh, some web surfing, dancing. Doesn't have to be a long period but every single day has to have something good. And If I seek that out after a fuel stop, or when I am feeling restless, I don't seem to be snacking or overeating. A good day can't just be a day when I got shit done. That is not enough fun and I will then make it fun with sugar or chips.

So, this I have learned. Liz Dunn, good-timer, is where I am going. Gotta let go of stuff, not fooling, I struggle with the lack of productivity, but I am going to do less and enjoy it more BECAUSE it results in less overeating. So weird.

So, this was fun, and I am sitting in my mom's kitchen and I will read this to her next, like I read her your blog posts. That will be fun too. I made her laugh by peering out the window to wave at the traffic- hello commuters, Have a nice drive, I am in my pajamas drinking coffee!

Xxoo
Liz
Not going to read this to find more ramblings to correct, moving on!


Nan S said...

You good-timer, you! Fabulous thoughts. Because this is my blog I get to respond with a new post!