Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Across the Bay 10K

I never had any real desire to do a 10K, but that was the only way I could go across the Bay Bridge. I signed up back in about July, so I had time to train. I did some longish runs on Friday nights after work, with the last being 6 miles. I figured that was close enough, since 10 kilometers is about 6.2 miles (not quite a quarter of a marathon). This is now the height of my ambition. No further is necessary - maybe 10 miles on a weekend jog, but no further.

It was good fun and I felt great.  I'm pleased that my pace towards the end was as good as my pace at the beginning.  There were 21,000 people!  They had to start in waves, because the bridge is 26 feet wide. A friend in the first wave finished (in about 45 minutes) while I was still waiting for the bus to the starting line.  I took an hour and fourteen minutes, at a pace equal to my 5K paces, so I'm very happy with how I did.  My girl asked if I won. The good thing about competing with yourself is you are bound to win no matter what!  I'm already signed up for next year.

I love statistics!





21,000 people

They closed one of the two spans
Near the beginning

More than half way
At the finish line
Big backup for buses back to parking afterwards


One way across the Bay

1 comment:

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

I love the jacket and the outfit! You go girl!