Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sweet (Bittersweet) Summer's Waning

Summer starts: (a) Memorial Day (b) Last Day of School (c) Solstice (d) When you are at your vacation place (e) When the farmer's market has something other than lettuce and spinach

Summer ends: (a) Labor Day (b) First Day of School (c) Solstice (d) When it's too dark in the mornings to run before work (e) When there are no more peaches at the farmer's market

Today is an amazing day by any standard for any temperate climate in late summer: cool, low humidity, tiny little cumulus clouds in the distance. windows open and air conditioning off. And on a Saturday, no less!

I finally have my farmers market routine down. I park in the shade, pick up staples and meat for the coming week with breakfast at Whole Foods, then grab some bags and head to the very charming downtown Silver Spring farmers market. Tomatoes, peppers, peaches, were all I needed today. I'm planning the ultimate BLT for later this weekend, so I got the bacon from WF, and ogled an impressive array of choices at the farmers market before selecting a cinnamon raisin loaf. I already have the lettuce, delivered from my farm subscription on Wednesday (still good, I checked it last night).


I need to stay more active, and I've got some gardening plans to take advantage of the soft ground from last night's rain and this morning's cool weather. NPR on the iPod, and I'm good to go for now. As insurance against working too long and getting too hungry and making a poor choice later today, I picked up a prepared salad from WF, so my WW points should be good for the rest of the week!



1 comment:

KCF said...

Yup, I felt it in the air, too. Not quite ready, but also very ready, if you know what I mean....