Monday, August 27, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

With this start of a new school year I feel almost like a new beginning. My college boy is gone [sadness] and my little girl has started high school. The boy in the middle is a senior, looking for colleges and trying to find his way after some rough years.

But I've started to move again, emerging from what feels like a cocooned, frozen in time summer. So it feels right to aim at a new goal, a new habit.

I want to leave my building at least once each work day.

Doesn't sound like much, does it? But as I think about how to incorporate more movement in my life, this seems possible. I'm desperately short on sleep, both because of not giving myself enough time in bed, but also a lot of tossing and turning when I am at least trying. So exercising at night is out, and I really make use of the extra hour I get when it's not a gym day. So lunch for a walk it is.

My days at work are stressful and harried, full of meetings set to other people's needs. I try to bring my lunc with me as often as I can, in order to control what I eat. But usually when I do that, I end up never leaving my own corner of the building, much less outside. But I work in one of the most scenic and most visited spots in the world, across the street from the most popular museum in the world (Smithsonian Air & Space) so I really need to get separated from the crisis of the moment and take a tiny little jaunt.

Walking is not the exercise I most want to add, but anything is better than nothing. And it's as much the psychological break I need as the physical one.

1 comment:

KCF said...

Sounds like a really sane first step. That's my theme for the weeks--steps, not giant leaps, but steady steady steps.