Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Tally

14 days away
6 of us together (me, my mother, HS, all 3 kids)
2 hotel rooms/cabins (3 per room, boys and girls)
4 countries visited (Italy, Spain, Tunisia, Monaco - not counting US)
8 cities visited (Rome, Florence, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Palmas de Mallorca, Tunis, Palermo, Naples)
19 hours on airplanes
5 hours in airports

13 bacon and egg breakfasts consumed
9 desserts as part of 9 four course dinners aboard ship
7 gelatos bought on the street
5 helpings of french fries at lunch
2 cups of coffee per day (just happened, didn't intend to cut back)
1-2 alcoholic drinks per day (beer and mojitos), except
2 1/2 bottles of wine consumed for most fabulous dinner in Rome

2 trips to the gym, 1 mile run each time
1 2-hour kayak trip
oodles and oodles of walking

7 books read (last of Gregor the Overlander, 3 of Thief of Attolia, Nevada Barr, Sue Grafton, American Dervish) I love my kindle!
7 tv episodes watched (3 Downton Abbey, 4 Mad Men - I hadn't ever seen it, and bought season 1 on iTunes to watch on ipad)
270 minutes of shipboard wifi purchased and used
3 restaurants selected because of free wifi
105 emails noted but never opened (about 20 actually opened)
1 new niece arrived early but healthy - thank goodness for email!
2 times work email checked, no action necessary

3 ties bought so men could join us beautiful women at formal dinners on ship
3 bracelets bought
3 pairs of earrings bought
1 magic carpet bought in Tunisia
3 tshirts bought
2 caftans bought by our men

2 major electronics failures
1 drivers licence lost
1 iphone stolen
4 bags of laundry on ship
3 trips to shipboard medical center for
2 courses of antibiotics

630 photos taken - stay tuned for link to highlights
35 minutes - amount of time so far waiting for photos to transfer to PC
193,000,000 (approx.) Vespas spotted
gazillions of sights, sounds, smells, as backdrops for books I've read and will read

more than a few laughs
a new career as dinner table magician by our big boy
a lifetime worth of memories

11 pieces of non-junk mail waiting
about two more hours before I check my work email and lose the vacation glow

and, is this even possible, only TWO pounds gained?

4 comments:

KCF said...

Something about travel, I tell ya. I tend to lose weight or gain very little, too, especially if it's this kind of trip--stimulating, cultural, lots of walking (plopping on a Caribbean beach is a sad and hefty exception). I was soooo happy in Italy when I went for 10 days a million years ago that I found myself saying, "No thanks," to seconds happily. The food was so satisfying, the walking, the sights, the naps. it was a glimpse of how things are supposed to be for me. It sounds so wonderful; I can't wait to hear more--your favorite sights, cities, etc. Welcome home!

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Nan, welcome home...i love this list. it is brilliant and so insightful. love the details, the wine, the ties, the ship, etc. all that fun and you did great. alice

Nan S said...

It's so great to be back. Now I've got to see about cutting back to food I actually make myself, tracking again, and explicit rather than serendipitous exercise.

Alice, early in the pictures is one of the Tory Burch storefront in Rome - it made me think of you! We were walking down a street in the obviously high rent district. Things were quiet, but right before the Tory Burch store was a Russian oligarch with black leather-clad security all over the street. Seemed like a movie set.

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

oh now i have to go back and look for the tory burch shot! alice