Sunday, February 13, 2011

Skyr: Something from Iceland to Try

I read a review of this and found it this morning at Whole Foods:  Skyr 

This is basically no-fat yogurt with fewer carbs and more protein than any other. Also completely ethically correct with milk from grassfed cows and vegetable rennet. I generally don't eat yogurt at all because it has so much sugar, even if no sugar is added.  And the "low carb" yogurts out there are filled with artificial stuff and don't qualify as food.  Here is the nutrition content of the orange-ginger Skyr:


(All the flavors seem about the same values.)  By contrast, StonyField Farm no-fat yogurt is the same number of calories for a whole cup of yogurt (about 250 grams), but with 33 grams of carbs and 9 grams of protein.  So I got it to try. Of course, my eating approach is that I wouldn't worry about some fat grams in there, but the company doesn't make another option.  I worried about not enough protein or fat meaning it won't "hold me" until lunch, so I added an ounce of almonds because that was quickest and handiest. It's quite tart and the kid didn't like it, but I did. We'll see how I feel about it after some time has passed.


No comments: