Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Million Weight Loss Blogs

"There is no happy ending to this tale. No ending at all."

From one of my current favorites, Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit. Interesting comment from someone who is starting to think about maintenance, versus a big loss.

There also appears to be no end to the number of folks trying to lose weight and blogging about it. I'm not surprised; I often find myself riding the crest of the zeitgeist wave. Of course, like everything on the web, they are quite uneven in their quality. Some have a fairly pathetic tone. I rarely spend much time on those, and don't bookmark them. I go for the sassy and irreverent vibe. Besides Jack Sh*t, I also really like Fat Girl vs. World. Sad past, butt kicking present, limitless future.

I found links to bunches of these from the Home Page of my magic calorie counting device, when I browsed looking for tips, advice, some community feeling about what I am doing. I spent a whole evening spinning through the diet blogosphere, wondering and sometimes pitying what I found. But I'm not prepared to go get philosophical about our culture and weight. I'm clear in my mind why I am doing what I'm doing, and I'm doing it for me and no-one else.  But there is still common ground and fellow feeling to be had here in the web, and it supports me. And there is also here in the blog a degree of accountability and a requirement for honesty - my readers actually know me, and will know if what I say here isn't true.

I'm not logging my meals, and it is starting to show up on the scale that the calorie count is creeping up.  If I'm going to actually continue, I need to really bear down and blow through the new set point (otherwise known as plateau) I've achieved. It might mean a couple weeks of pure atkins - that should do it.  Can I really cut out ice cream and beer - never at the same time, but my summer craves? Do I want to? Shall I? For at least the next ten days?

See how I bargain - two weeks to ten days in the space of three sentences.  Let's see if anyone out there has inspiration for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oy, I'll try, but this is not my happy place

in middle age with naturally indolent bodies and a love of food, there's little reward here

the 30 seconds that you put something on and get a thrill - then the 23 hours, 59.5 minutes of being good with diet and dexercise? bah

maintain so previous sacrifice doesn't lose meaning

bet K will do better
good luck

Liz

KCF said...

I dunno if I can (do better that is). Total deprivation is a total bore (but Liz is right, so are the consequences). Limit the hits (both good and bad) perhaps? One ice cream treat and one beer treat per weekend or whatever seems suitably tolerable/minimally damaging? Each season has its hard parts and I hear you on the summer temptations... I was just saying to F that our 2 house guests this summer are Muslim non-drinkers and my scale will be better off for it, frankly. Normally, I'd rather eat my calories than drink 'em, but I love me some very cold white wine on the deck in warm weather... I'm considering limiting it to weekends this year.

KCF said...

I dug the blog recommendations, btw!