Monday, June 7, 2010

Calorie Burning

Wearing my magic calorie counting device definitely makes me want to be more active. A total slug of a sick day is 1700 calories, a moderately active work day (with walks, either deliberately or between meetings) is 2000 calories, and a very active day is 2400 calories.

I joined the facebook group for BodyMedia Fit (or BMF as the fans say), and some folks are posting their stats there. FOUR THOUSAND calories!!! Seriously? How can that be?

I did some mental math on my drive on to work. On a very active day, I average 100 calories an hour. The absolutely most active I know how to be is the NerdicTrak at 600 calories an hour, or plus 500 over baseline. So to get to 4,000 calories in 24 hours, I would need to NT for-- 5-6 hours non-stop?

I guess it's possible. I've taken ski vacations where I've done near that. For a couple of days. I guess if you are training for a marathon you put in those kinds of hours. But how do you do that and have a life?

This made me riff on what I would do if I had more time:

Definitely go to the gym for longer.
Kayak more.
Walk more.
Play the piano.
Read.
Garden.
Set up fun and creative active projects for the kids
Lots more boat projects.
Lots more sailing.

So the gym and exercise are up there, but as I had more time to think, the list started to fill up with competing priorities. Don't know if I would ever get to six hours a day at the gym.

Still, a fun summer project would be to keep trying for new high total days. I bet I can get over 3000 if I try.

- iPhone uPdate

No comments: