Monday, February 1, 2010

My Mother as Role Model

At first blush, my mother may not appear suited to be a diet role model. At 82, she has shrunk to a couple of inches shorter than me, while weighing 20 pounds more than me. She is all belly, and she sure does love her sweets.

But recall my priorities- if I have to choose between strong and skinny, I choose strong. And she certainly is strong.

Five years ago, she had her left knee replaced. Three weeks after the operation, she declared the pain to be less than that of the old arthritic joint just removed. Five weeks after the operation, she drove herself home alone to New York and commenced physical therapy and exercise.

She kept up the exercise even after the insurance stopped paying for therapy. When she moved down here, she joined the gym right away and is a regular. At the urging of a friend, she added tai chi for strength and balance.

What a difference this has made in her life. She got another new knee for Christmas this year, and moved out of rehab back to her own apartment three weeks after the operation. Now, five weeks out, her surgeon says she is fine. Ready to do whatever she wants.

What she wants to do is keep on going to physical therapy and the gym. She wants to travel the world and not slow down. She sees being physically strong as the key.

And so do I. This is why this little old round lady is my inspiration.

- iPhone uPdate

1 comment:

KCF said...

Your mother has LONG been my inspiration, too. Send her my love.