Sunday, January 29, 2023

Adventure

So, I'm doing a thing. I'm a little bit nervous. No, I'm a LOT nervous. But I want adventure.

I'm going on a TWO WEEK VOYAGE aboard Pride of Baltimore II, my schooner. They posted the itinerary Wednesday, I slept on it and signed up Thursday, and I have to pay by Monday. And the trip begins March 15. That's right, March. Before the first day of spring, even.

We're going from Baltimore to Saint Petersburg, Florida. That will be down the length of the Chesapeake Bay, out into the ocean, around Cape Hatteras, down along the South Carolina and Georgia coasts, along Florida and around or through the Keys, and back up into the Gulf of Mexico to St Pete. It's about 1400 nautical miles.

The way these voyages go, they set a longer than absolutely needed period of time to make the trip, and then study the forecasts and actually do the sailing in the best weather window. I figure at only six knots, it's about 10 days, so there is a lot of room for adjustment at either end. Probably, once we set off, we pretty much stay out until we get there. No stops are planned along the way. And for a ship the size of Pride II you can't just pull into any marina along the way for a break. I understand any impromptu stops are generally anchoring rather than tying up to a dock somewhere. I'll book my flight home in a refundable way, because it might need to be changed based on what we do.

When we get closer, I'll be able to refine what clothes I need based on the weather. But it'll be winter, and colder on the water, so bundling up for the first week seems in order. Then, Florida in March? On the water? Mild, not freezing, but not hot by any means. Layers. And rain gear. And nylon undies so I can wash them out - no laundry on the boat, and two weeks is too long to pack for. 

Six weeks from now, I can be a little bit stronger than I am today, and I actually feel pretty good today. But this is a very big kedge to help motivate me to action to stay strong! I know I can do the basics aboard, up and down ladders, standing and sitting around, holding the wheel, pulling on ropes, coiling lines. In the unlikely event it gets really rough, I'll opt out of anything that makes me nervous. But the stronger I am, the better off I'll be. 

Yippee! Looking at the photos from previous trips are making me smile!

3 comments:

KCF said...

What a fabulous adventure to plan! Very excited for you!

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Nan this is very exciting indeed!!!!

Liz said...

Wow, throwing yourself in the deep end! Good for you, and the trip sounds wonderful.
Liz