Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Still Masked

These were surprisingly fiddly
and difficult to make
I ran across this, my favorite ornament, (handmade by me) from last year. Note how it says "2020"? How naive of me! What optimism we had, with vaccines on the horizon and a new, competent, president peacefully taking office after only a few days of uncertainty.

Yesterday, I read many articles about what is happening with Omicron, maybe more than is healthy. I came away with the horrible feeling that we will all get the virus. It's inevitable, we can't protect enough to avoid it. There is a very good chance we (vaxed and boosted) will end up fine after some unpleasantness, but the unpleasantness is coming and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

I also came away with useful tips on masking, to do my best to postpone the unpleasantness. Tip #1: use an N95, or a KN95. If the latter, make sure to verify the mask labelled "KN95" is truly that. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good way to verify the certification of masks. The best I can do is look for reviews or on the company website. I've bought both KN95 and surgical-style (pleated) masks from Maskc, because I really want to have my mask coordinated and stylish. They are sold as "single use" but definitely I re-use them.

Just some I've gotten from Maskc
 

If not using an N95 or KN95, double-masking is the way to go. The recommended method is to put a paper, disposable, surgical-style mask on the bottom layer (with the corners tucked together) and then a cloth mask over it. The bottom layer absorbs your moisture, and the top layer generally makes a better seal than the surgical-style. 

I was away last week, and during the week news got progressively worse, so I double-masked on the way home. It was fine, though I prefer the layer touching my face to be of cloth. The masks I made that I still wear have either silk or very soft cotton on the bottom layer. But for anything other than casual exposure, I'll either wear the KN95 or double mask.

So now, the question is, how do I make N95-style ornaments? Got to think on it.

4 comments:

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Hi Nan. Things are getting scary--again. IDK what to say. Just so scary. We drove up to Maine. We have rapid tests. We will socialize outside when possible--planned walk with niece today--but in cold winter with big family and family meals, not so possible. Sending love. Alice

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

and P.S. RE YOUR 2020 Mask ornament...exactly....sigh...we thought the worst was over...we will emerge resilient, I hope and pray.

Nan S said...

Sigh. We all adjust our risk tolerance to be with those we love. But hooray for Maine! Enjoy!
Xoxo

Liz said...

I hung my mask ornament with the same thought About the year! At family zoom I broached driving to MA to pick up Mum instead of putting her on a plane. She is intrepid and would Pooh Pooh it, which is why I brought it up before the sibs. I think we are in agreement. I am giving myself the next week to get errands done, then will hunker down so it is week of low infection possibility before she arrives. Christmas was great but I early seems a while ago already!
Kisses, hang in there!
Liz