Saturday, October 30, 2021

Dead Man's Run


The 5K race scheduled for last night switched to an all virtual race because of the storm. But they opened the course for folks to do it on their own, so my girl and I headed down past Capitol Hill to Historic Congressional Cemetary, and ran it on our own. The day was absolutely gorgeous, a perfect 60 degrees for running.

This was my first 5K since the Before Times, and my girl's first ever! Her time was equal to my personal best time, but she is 22 and I was 60 when I made that time, so ok. We both are doing run/walk intervals timed by a watch. My run intervals are slower than some people's walks, but the mechanics of running are different than walking. It's always clear to me when I'm doing which. The advantage of doing these short running intervals is you can go further from the very first time out. Today, at two miles, my thought was that because my intervals are so short and I was going so slow, I'd be able to keep up the run intervals to the end. But by 2.75 miles, the rest of the course was all uphill, there was no cheering crowd, and I was done. I walked the rest of the way.

We had fun, and are signed up for an in-person Turkey Trot next month. 

I hope to train more before then. My knees are part of the limiting factor, but also my lack of cardio fitness. I'm doing physical therapy for the knees, but I've got to get out there for the cardio. Better fitness should spill over to everything else in my life, so the theory (and some of my previous experience) suggests.

In prep for this, I dug down in my drawers and closets and found some running clothes I hadn't been wearing. Some I gave to my girl and some I kept. Yay for shopping my closet!

1 comment:

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Look at you two! Beautiful and strong. I’m sorry I haven’t been reading more closely. Love Alice