Sunday, August 18, 2019

Query: How Do You Incorporate Movement Through the Day?

I blew up every habit I have when I retired, and now I'm trying to build in new, good, habits. Of course there is a book I'm reading - Atomic Habits by James Clear. It's a fairly typical self-help book - rules to follow to build consistent habits. Useful.

I'm being very consistent (this month) with exercise. For August, I'm near 100% on exceeding my daily minimum baselines: (1) out the door, in my workout clothes, for at least 10 minutes of walking, and (2) down to my home gym for at least 10 minutes of functional exercise and stretching. I'm working on other areas of my life as well, but what is occupying my thoughts at this moment is understanding what I need to do after my morning workouts to make sure I don't spend the rest of the day sinking into the couch.

When I worked, there was a fair amount of movement in the course of the day. Just to go to the bathroom was about 250 steps round trip. My normal course of the day involved walking around the building to meetings, out to the food trucks, and so on. On my weekends, housework and chores kept me from freezing in place. Even without any conscious walking involved, a normal day at work or home was more than 5,000 steps. (Thanks, fitbit, for the stats.) Now, if I don't consciously go for a walk, it's easy to stay below that level. Even on a day when I'm social or shopping, I'm driving or riding metro, and I don't automatically keep moving.

I'm happy I'm exercising, but I need to get up and move more during the day. So since I know people who either have or were working primarily at home, here is my query: how do you keep from freezing in your chair for hours at a time? What tips for incorporating incidental movement can you share? Or does it need to be more conscious - should I get up every hour and do some jumping jacks?

As I write this, I've been in my chair for slightly more than an hour and I ought to move.


3 comments:

Liz said...

Outlook sends me an hourly reminder. At worst, I stand and stretch my arms over my head, but I usually walk out of the room. I spread out the puttering. Sample - go to kitchen make weekly menu list. Laundry to basement. Get mail. Sweep stairs. Two minute things on my feet. My microwave rule is I balance on one foot while waiting for the ding. When I walk Lionna I work posture- shoulders back, hips forward - bc God knows it isn’t exercise. Also, this was a rehab tip -set up mirror near where you surf and don’t let yourself slouch.
Liz

KCF said...

ok, I "cheated" when I was home. Office was on the top floor so down 2 floors for UPS guy ringing doorbell then up again; down for 1 flight to go to the bathroom and up again; down for 2 flights for a meal and up again. Often peeps would suggest I put a fridge up there for drinks and snacks and I was horrified at the idea.

I also found more time to get out and go for 45 minute walks. Not every day but usually 2-3 times a week. Usually worked best when I had a walking buddy.

Now, my movement as you described. A shocking amount of walking to get to meetings (hospitals are sprawling places), up and down for bathroom and to cafeteria, usually out for coffee a few blocks away, SOMETIMES a walk. not nearly as often as I'd like. The biking helps. I dunno. It's not enough, it's never enough.

But I digress, back to you! I guess I like the hourly reminder from Liz. I guess make things as "inconvenient" as possible within your home. Get a walking buddy (though I think Rocky counts! ).

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Hi. I'm kind of missing my Fitbit and might buy a new one. The last one broke and was past warranty. I like the apple watch but so pricey--what do you think of those? Truly, it's the chic wristbands for the apple that have drawn me in...sending love