Monday, February 26, 2018

Small Project from Beginning to End

Before (only 1 of 3 places they lived)
I have a HUGE project to do - get all the crap out of my basement. I've been working on this for at least three years. That means I started at least three years ago, and since then I've done little to move it along.

So as one does, I searched the internet for support. Facebook helpfully suggested a de-cluttering group, because misery loves company. One challenge they issued was actually not something I thought of as a problem: declutter mugs in the kitchen. It's not even in my basement.

So I did this Sunday, just to build a track record of actually doing something. I got all my coffee mugs, and my travel coffee mugs, from three different places in the house, and put them all the dining room table. I only put back the ones I absolutely intend to both keep and use. 
All the cups.
Bought for looks, given as public radio premiums, received as gifts,
bought as souvenirs on travel, acquired at work events.
Mostly I kept the bought for looks ones only.

Then I rinsed all the give-aways in the sink and put into bags to drop off at Valu-Village, a local store. I won't get a receipt, I'll just be glad they are gone and have at least a chance of a second life.

Not part of the project: heirloom china.
Not touched in 20 years.
Something to think about another day.
What I kept.

After. A little more space - room for new ones?
(No, that way lies either madness or Sisyphus.)
At least this is all I have now, none stashed elsewhere.

2 comments:

Alice Garbarini Hurley said...

Proud of you for taking these steps to declutter. I hope to do the same one day, not sure when. Mugs are madness. Only so much space. Glad you dropped some off. That feels good! My friend Patsy and her husband have a rule. Nothing new comes into the house unless something goes out. I love that. And she means it. When they run races, they will no longer take home the souvenir drinking glass, for example, or the T-shirt. One day at a time. One mug at a time. Your fan and admirer, Alice

Liz said...

Agree with Alice this is genius idea -something left the house, order where there was none, only looking at good looking mugs now!

In a cluttered house, mY housewares stay pared down because Will has roommates who break stuff and no money to replace. Hee! Anyway we get there is good.
Congrats!
Liz