Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Practicing Whole30

I'm seriously contemplating doing the Whole30 challenge, especially if I can do it with family members. It's basically the same thing as Paleo, but without the pseudo-science of trying to eat as out ancestors may or may not have eaten.  Instead, the focus is on eliminating whole spectrums of potentially irritating foods- but only for 30 days.  It's all about proteins and especially vegetables, mostly cooks at home from fresh ingredients (so you actually know what you are eating).

I may start it up in July.  It will be hard to eliminate dairy, which for me is a big source of richness. As I think about how I want to eat for the rest of my life, I also think I want to eat more legumes, and less meat.  

So I've been reading labels, big time.  Cooking from scratch is truly the only way to control things.  I went to farmers market on Saturday last and overbought.  I was too busy and too tired to do as much cooking as I had hoped.  But I did roast a couple of bunches of radishes, and steamed a big bowl of broccoli. So this morning I sautéed an onion, and tossed in the pre-roasted radishes. I put that on the plate, then tossed in the broccoli to heat it up, and added that to the plate. Lastly, in the same unwashed skillet, I fried a couple of eggs.  This was actually more food than I could eat at once, but I knew I'd be away and otherwise I'd just be throwing it out.

This breakfast (and especially the photo) are an homage to Team_Sherwood on Instagram. 

No comments: