Thursday, January 1, 2015

Should I be content or aim for more?

Happy New Year everyone!  Here is my report on the weight front:

My weight stayed constant last year, not so bad.  I reconciled myself to being in maintenance, and except for the detox period, it stayed phenominally consistent - three pounds change the whole year,

From Trendweight.com, terrific free site!
The graph above shows my actual scale reading in the light gray line, and the "trend", or underlying weight calculated by a moving average, in the red line. Here is the familiar chart from the beginning of time:


So the question that is consuming me, as I finish up eating the Christmas sweets, is whether I should make a try for blasting below the floor of my weight I keep bouncing off of. Should I try losing the last 10-15 pounds that takes me to the "goal weight" I've had in mind for 20 years? The weight that I actually saw for about 48 hours at the turn of the millenium?

The things I know I want to do:

  • Get back into running (I've taken a vacation from running since the last 5K in November).
  • Eat more fish (I realized I cooked fish during the detox diet and it was the first time I had done that in maybe 20 years - except for shrimp and salmon, which somehow don't count).
  • Eat more soups (I made turkey soup out of the carcass, using my new slow cooker. I got really full and happy for not so many calories.)
  • Keep eating vegetables (I haven't had so many in the house to choose from recently).
  • Take my lunch to work more often.
  • Cook more.
I'm scheduled in June to stand in front of a bunch of strangers and talk about my weight loss history. Wouldn't it be nice to have a new bit of success to talk about?  I think I'm going to go for it, but at the same time I'm wondering how committed I am. That's why I'm in the "contemplation" phase now.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Just caught up with your last posts. The adventures one is really something. Good for you -except for course the ER ones - yowza, BAD ADVENTURE. But the running and meetup ones are really impressive. And I like reading about your different strategies. I will never be as willing to record data as you, but I do see the appeal in facts around such emotional issues.

Thanks!
Liz