Saturday, July 5, 2014

Seduced at the Farmer's Market Again

I very much want to eat more vegetables and fruit, especially excellent fresh and local ones. But that pretty much requires cooking.  Cooking often. Also shopping often.  I have a very bad track record of buying more vegetables than I cook, and cooking more vegetables than I eat.

"Life should be delicious" says the book I'm reading now.  I agree, but it's an awful lot of work to get there.  I'm just back from the market, and here's what I've got-and what I plan to do with it. I need specific plans, and I have to get this done this weekend because all bets are off during the week.

Cauliflower.  I will roast it, with some shallots I already have. Will keep for most of a week.
Zucchini. I want to make a lasagna, using thin long slices of zuchini instead of noodles. I have ricotta, but no mozzarella- I'm contemplating using feta instead. I can assemble today, and cook tomorrow or the next day.
Cabbage. I want to shred it in the food processor and make a cole slaw in a homemade vinaigrette.  (A couple of years ago I did this with a fresh young farmers market cabbage and realized there is a huge difference even with this humble vegetable between supermarket ones and the real thing.) this will be good with work lunches all week.
Peaches. These early peaches are iffy but I couldn't resist.
Cherries. Good for snacks.
Blueberries. For breakfast or late night snacks.

I also decided to put my money where my mouth is and buy farmers market meat from pastured animals. I got a couple of steaks (I've got a big craving for steak salads), and three pounds of chicken thighs for a family meal. I tried not to flinch at the price. I don't have a specific plan for the chicken, but usually I would cook it with a bottled curry sauce and serve with rice. But I'm wanting to add beans to my diet, as I decrease meat, so I'm thinking about this. I put the meat in the fridge not the freezer because again, I need to cook it soon.

Rather than leap into the kitchen to get started on this I'm thinking about a nap. 

No comments: