Sunday, February 9, 2014

Back to Basics



The results of heading to the store without a clear plan.

Why is it every vow to "get back on track" in my eating leads to a $100 tab at the food store? I'm focused on eating the right things and not eating the wrong things. This means having the right things lying around easily accessible.

I'm not sure what will be happening with family dinners this week, so my shopping focused on breakfast and afternoon snacks.  I eat protein in the morning but am always looking for how to add vegetables or something interesting to the mix. I got lots of cheese, olives, and celery, which will work for breakfast or afternoons.  I got sausages for more breakfasts. I have a couple of lunches already in the fridge from leftovers from this weekend.

I got a box of shrimp, boiled and peeled. Cheaper than their shrimp rings. I'm thinking they didn't sell as much for the Superbowl as they thought they would.  Shrimp pretty much works for any meal.

I have eaten really badly for a while now, and yesterday felt physically bad from all the bad stuff I was eating. Today, I focused on virtuous chores and at noon realized I had neither eaten nor worked out. So a quick protein-and-vegetable lunch from the freezer and out the door to do other family things.  In the late afternoon, I realized I really really wanted to do my treadmill run to keep on track with the C-2-5K plan I'm following. It was all uphill, it seemed, I wasn't able to do the full routine called for, and I didn't feel very good while I was doing it, but I'm so glad I did anyway.

I'm going to lower the speed even more if necessary. At my gym I was reminded of the best test on intensity:  Can you sing a whole verse of "Old MacDonald had a farm" without gasping repeatedly for breath? Ideal is grabbing a deep breath between phrases; too hard is not getting through a phrase without gasping. I think I was too hard today, even though it seemed really slow.

Hopefully, if I keep plugging away, I'll get to a better level.
Excelsior!  Olives and fresh mozarella awaits me for breakfast!

- iPhone uPdate

No comments: