Friday, November 16, 2012

Walking

Twice this week instead of flopping on the couch to read the paper first thing in the morning, instead I went down and walked on the treadmill while reading the paper.  I went all digital on the NY Times and it's easy to prop my iPad on my treadmill.  Selecting articles and flipping the pages while walking is do-able, though I don't think it would work while running.

I had a couple of medical appointments this week and the empahsis on exercise was notable. Not just for my body, but for my mind, and for stress.  So I'm trying to find the gumption to get back into running. This walking is just the first step, and better than nothing.  "Better than nothing" is my new mantra.

Sadly, my knees hurt badly. I hurt the left one on the ladder cleaning my gutters before the hurricane - a sudden snap and I couldn't bend it for a couple of days. With the enforced inactivity it was fine three days later, but now that pain is back, layered with arthritic pain in both knees.  This morning's gentle walk (half an hour at 3.2 miles per hour) was fine so far. But it's a potential obstacle to running.


One of the articles in the Times this morning says about exercise "more intense for shorter is better". They were discussing longevity specifically, but subjectively, I tend to agree for my immediate benefits. I want to get the heart rate up and get me some endorphins.

But something is better than nothing. And I can feel the blood moving faster than the couch alone would have done.

No comments: