Saturday, March 24, 2012

Counting Down to the Race

I'm six weeks out from the first 5K race (I actually signed up for two with the second a week after the first). It's time to get really serious about training, since I still haven't run 3.11 miles without needing to walk. I'm trying to up both the frequency and the duration of my runs.
I did ok this week. After my declaration last Sunday, I did stay on the treadmill at the gym after my PT appointment and ran just a mile- twelve minutes. It took an extra 15 minutes which stretched to a half hour later start at work, which was fine or I wouldn't have done it. Tuesday I couldn't run, but Wednesday I fought concrete boots to get a mile in- but I had to split it up into four three minute runs. The body really didn't want to do it. Thursday I needed to be early to work, so no run. Friday, yesterday, I didn't go to work and managed to get the whole 5k in. Today, a mile in the hotel gym, before coffe or anything. I could have stayed longer but I also hadn't drunk much water and so I decided not to stay for more intervals after I had finished the nonstop mile. I'm thinking of this as my easy day- only a mile. Tomorrow morning I should be better prepared to go the whole 5k.
I was pretty happy with how the 5 k went yesterday. I broke the 40 minute mark! By like 5 seconds, but it counts. I ran 15 minutes, walked 3, then alternated 3 minute runs with 90 second walks. My heart rate was above 155 at the end of each of those 3 minute runs, but went down below 130 in each rest walk, so that was sustainable for a long time. I went into planning for 15 minutes "long" run at the beginning, and with the memory of cement boots Wednesday, but I do want to keep focusing on a longer initial run.
Since today I was going out in public in running attire, and I'm in Florida, I changed my clothes up a bit. I'm wearing above the knee compression shorts, but I would never want my butt to be viewed in them. I put on baggy sports shorts, pretty much the same length, over them. They also have deep pockets, great for the phone, room key, money, and glasses. I still wouldn't want to walk through a crowded lobby of folks in street clothes, but it was fine for room to gym to coffee shop to room.
So I really like the the aerobic cardio feeling of pushing myself like this. After my racing career is over (that will be in May), I hope the idea of running a mile or two for relaxation sticks with me. I feel fine, not at all drained, and better able to face the day having done this.
Sheryl Yvette (link) is totally a running goddess and my inspiration for my even beginning to think about a 5 k! She just did the New York half marathon and she feels fine. Hooray! "Run when you can, walk when you must, but never stop.". (I'll put in links when I get to a better computer.) done

1 comment:

KCF said...

Before I got to the end of your post, I was thinking, "I gotta remind her what Sheryl says--Run when you can, walk when you must, but never stop"!!!!!