Saturday, July 23, 2011

Vegetables

I totally believe vegetables are the key to success. My return from the Arctic has coincided with peak summer produce. I've gotten fruit at Whole Foods (which does make an effort to get east coast produce not just California) and the peaches and plums are completely wonderful. And free on WW. But they are not a meal.

This morning after the gym (smug virtuous reference) I finally got to a local farmers market. "Abundance" is the feeling. Despite the heat and drought, there is lots to choose from. I had to hold back because it all looks so good. My history is of overbuying and letting things rot, so I tried to focus on specific dishes for specific meals. There is another market tomorrow, so I can get more good stuff right away. I'm thinking that for this season, I should just try to get to a market or store every couple of days, so as to waste less and always have fresh stuff. It's more work, and we'll see how it works out.

I know we have ready ripe fruit on the dining room table so I didn't get any more of that. I got the usual zucchini, eggplant, peppers for side dishes. I was very restrained on the tomatoes. Only a couple of heirloom ones. If I don't know exactly when they'll get eaten, I should pass them up.

My one impulse buy was chard. It was so beautiful, fairly small sized leaves. Since it was still breakfast time, I had the idea cooking it right away for breakfast. I had in my mind a dish I've had with other greens: bacon and greens and a splash of vinegar. I've only cooked chard a couple of times, so I consulted How to Cook Everything, and modified a recipe. It worked out ok, but not up to my expectations. Served with fresh tomato, it was kind of a BLT with no bread and C instead of L. Not a big hit with anyone else, either.

I got a darling little cabbage as well, and I'm going to shred it with a cilantro vinaigrette for a cole slaw at a picnic tonight.

Here's to the season!

Sherbert update

1 comment:

Liz said...

exactly on "when do you cook this stufff" after you've mustered the energy to acquire it... salad is covered but I am MEGA-interested in cooking other vegs, and was sorry the chard didn't work out

did you notice the veg selections at whole foods not so great? uninspired vinaigrette vegs or minor note in a starchy rice or noodle dish

bummer

Liz