Friday, August 20, 2010

Wild and Wonderful

I love this place! It is built as a rustic set of lodges and classrooms and trails. It's in the classic American rustic mode, and the lounge of my lodge was decorated with this:



I set the alarm for before 6 am (after all, I do that to go to the gym) and actually got out there by 6:15 - about a quarter hour before sunrise. I wandered around, going down to the Potomac River shore and back up again. Then, more purposefully, off on one of the cross country trails.

Again, I was motivated to jog from time to time, but not for long and not very fast. I didn't know exactly where I was going, but I had my trusty iphone app to map my track and get me back to the end. I try very hard not to retrace my steps, though, and so I tried to find a loop. I was not completely successful, as this map will show:  Nan's walk today

I got back to the room a bit later than planned, and luckily was in low maintenance mode to get showered, packed, and out of the room. Off to my meeting, smelling like a rose.

I was promised breakfast on the program. I did secure a half cup of coffee before heading outside- each building has a lounge with a coffee maker. I swear I smelled bacon as I trekked past the dining hall. I got some more coffee as I returned to my room after more than an hour of outdoor exercise. I was hungry! I checked out of my room and headed to my meeting. With anticipation, I rounded a corner to get a look at the buffet. SHOCK! Coffee cake, doughnuts, fruit-infused yogurt and juice.

Nothing I can eat. I looked longingly at the cinnamon swirl coffee cake. Just one piece will have no more calories than the single egg and slice of bacon I wanted. But I know the carbs are never just one. I would end up back again and again. (I confess to a second cookie yesterday). Too dangerous. I have plans for the day. But I've been out working! I'm starving! I need this! Dagnab it, I deserve it!

Now is when the tools and training kick in. I am not starving. I'm quite well fed, and literally weeks away from starving. Yes, my stomach is growling. But it is not an emergency. I'll just have another cup of coffee and more water, and look forward to lunch. It's Ramadan. Millions of people are going all day without eating- I've just got four hours to go.

I'll also make a point of issuing a critique. Cheese. Hard boiled eggs. Something not filled with sugar. They need better choices.

I kept thinking of a food reward for my good work. Wrong thought. The physical activity is fun. I did it because I wanted to. It is it's own reward. It was a treat.

So I'm fine, but the stomach is growling and I'm tapping this out instead of fully focussing on my meeting.
(later)
I lived till lunch, and filled my plate a bit too full, but the world is back in balance.

2 comments:

KCF said...

I am so impressed with you. Sounds like you're in a tuned-in place -- you're listening to your body needing to run, you're listening to your body able to handle a little hunger. Bravo Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Agreed - impressive!

Liz